CBDomain.com Australia's #1 Radio Hobby Forum

Author Topic: HF Freeband  (Read 6690 times)

Offline Robert1984

• Carrier Droper
  • Dont Call me SUE
Re: HF Freeband
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 08:55:01 PM »
Today i had to downgrade to my old Kraco 23 Channel? SSB CB due to the microphone off my 23 Channel refusing to work on my Super Panter MKII even though it was compatable? :'(

My dad thought there was a problem with the radio itself but after testing the microphone & antenna plugs using a volt meter no problem was found as both outlets were working fine its just the microphone isnt 100% compatable with the radio itself... non of the less my 23 Channel Kraco is still the best dammned radio to have even though it only goes up to Channel 23? :)

Offline trash

• Repeater Tart
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 06:44:00 PM »
In the direction of the station you're in contact with ?

Long wire tends to be a little unpredictable in it's radiation pattern.

Lets say you're using a 3 element beam... google

"Radiation pattern Yagi" of course putting the name of any kind of antenna will work, try "long wire"

Offline Robert1984

• Carrier Droper
  • Dont Call me SUE
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 02:05:26 PM »
I meant to say what direction should my 27MHz directional wire antenna be facing in order to get good signals

Offline trash

• Repeater Tart
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 11:56:36 AM »
directional wire ? my head hurts.

here's a radio you might like.... good for HF CB, HF CB extra channels, NZ HF CB, and 10 metres ham radio.

http://vkham.jbo.com.au/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=38424&query=retrieval

Offline Robert1984

• Carrier Droper
  • Dont Call me SUE
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 08:47:28 PM »
Ok i will as im planning on doing the exam in the second week of July

Just out of curiosity trash what direction should my directional wire antenna be facing if i want to get signals left,right and center

Offline trash

• Repeater Tart
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 08:40:07 PM »
Say hi to the guys at the club down there. A few of them like Wayne know me.

I wouldn't worry too much about power output, nobody is going to be looking over your shoulder and nobody cares.
But to tow the line we all pretend to do the rigt thing... pfft :-)

Offline Robert1984

• Carrier Droper
  • Dont Call me SUE
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 04:32:29 PM »
Thats very funny trash  :D and the good news is that i went to (VKSR) South East Radio Group  meeting last night and got myself a foundation licence study manual i can tell ya this even a monkey could pass this test

Im happy that i'll be able to work on AM,SSB,CW,VHF & UHF amateur bands even though my station is only allowed to have so many watts   

But that doesnt matter to me as im really good at radio and not some idiot who hogs the UHF repeater  :P ;D

Offline trash

• Repeater Tart
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 12:38:05 PM »
The foundation licence is PISS easy. Basically if you can turn up and can spell your name correctly, then you're a shoe in.
It's basically an idiot test. So if you turn up and look or act like a f**kwit freash from a UHF CB repeater, the assessors are going to notice this and you might find your assessment harder. Turn up and look like a normal person off the street and you'll find they are very helpful with making sure you walk out with a callsign.

26/27MHz extra frequencies are there, but really, there isn't much traffic there. It's very very quite. You can buy radios off the shelf that will do it. But it's a hell of a lot more fun to mod your own. It used to be that you bought a CB. If you were techincal, you modified it for extra channels. Soon after you learnt a lot more about radios which was more than enough to pass the ham exam. You sold your extended CB to the local village idiot who got caught by the RI's a few weeks later after you dobbed him in and with the money you bought some nice shiney new ham radios.

CB 27MHz and 477MHz.

Ham Radio
1.8Mhz, 3MHz, 7MHz, 10MHz, 14MHz, 18Mhz, 21MHz, 24MHZ, 28/29MHz, 50-54MHz, 144-148MHz, 420-450MHz, 1240-1300MHz, 2300MHz, 2400-2450MHz
3.3-3.8GHz, 5.6GHz, 10GHz, 24GHz, 47GHz, 75GHz, 140GHz, 240GHz.

CW,AM,FM,USB,LSB,SSTV,RTTY,AMTOR,SITOR,CLOVER,Packet,PSK31,SSTV,FAX,TV just to name a few modes.
You can do just about anything within these bands from morse to sending television pictures to talking to the space shuttle.

Makes a big difference to listening to how big habib's dick is on Ch1 UHF CB repeater.

Robert1984

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 03:12:53 PM »
I went to the WIA website the other day and found out some info about the Foundation Licence and have also been told that it only requires very basic maths and electronics which means that you only have to know what frequency top put it on and how to setup a station as well as trouble shooting to me that is shit easy maths & electronics ;D

Plus i could set up an amateur radio station while wearing a blindfold? :D? as its the same as setting up a CB Radio Station all that is needed is a power pack, radio and coaxial attached to an outside antenna

Im currently waiting on a call back from the South East Radio Group President this week sometime hopefully during this week so i can arrange to do this radio licence since its that easy to do

?

Offline BuNtEr

• Lord of War
  • Administrator
  • Lord of War
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 05:01:10 PM »
if you like to talk all over the world there is one very easy way to do it, go get your foundation lic become a VK radio op.

To get the foundation lic is shit east takes 2 days thats a weekend its a non tech lic so you dint have to know much that way the hardest thing they ask you to do it plug a power supply into the wall and the radio into it and plug the coax into the radio turn it on and go to a frequency they tell you to.

Then you can talk to people on the right bands from all over the world.

I used to do allot of freebanding years ago, people that do that are classed as pirate radio ops, Allot of the VK ops of today were pirate radio ops but if you talk to them about it they look down on you.
What can i say but just that

Robert1984

HF Freeband
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 04:46:53 PM »
Hiya everyone even though this is my first time posting a thread on this site im not gonna mess it up  :)

I have been hearing alot about people making contact with other countries via Single Side Band on channels 16 & 35 LSB but havent been able to do it myself now im just hearing about extra SSB channels or as they are called freeband above our standard 40 channels and this has gotten me interested in it

Ever since getting this Pierce Simpson Super Panther MKII 40 ch AM/SSB from a friend of my parents i couldnt help to wonder how good it would be to talk to countries like USA or New Zealand on channels above our standard 40 channel frequency plan... is there a way i can get the SSB radio i've got to go above 40 channels with out pulling it to pieces and doing messy soldering or circuit damaging modifications

Also is 27 MHz freeband transmitting/monitoring Illegal here on Australia as we all know it is in America ???